Friday, October 17, 2008

The Joy's of Insurance Shopping...

Okay, so just a little overview so you are caught up with the happenings in what seems to be a badly written sitcom.

10.5.08 I was rear ended. Damage to my truck was major. I had a minor case of whiplash.

10.6.08 It's my birthday, whoohoo! I spend all day on the phone with the insurance companies...what fun. Let me tell you, my insurance company was not very helpful. (Which brings me to my story today!)

10.9.08 I go to the Chiropractor because I was getting swollen hands and my legs and arms were needle prick itchy. (the neck cracking experience I've had to endure was so weird. Have you heard your own bones cracking in your head?? Not a great sound)

Current Day 10.17.08
I find out they are going to total my truck. OK. Now I have to compromise on a price to settle on. Then I have to pay off the rest of my note, and buy a new vehicle.

So I do what every normal person will do, I begin calling around, getting prices. If you know me then you know, I always know what I want. And unfortunately for those around me, I'm stubborn and picky and as bratty as it sounds. I usually know me best and there fore get what I wanted from the beginning. Anyways, I digress.

I call Ryan and tell him the news. At first he is angry with me for my choice of a NEWER VEHICLE. My response to this was.... Oh I'm sorry, but it's my truck that was totalled, and we NEED 4 doors or I'll not be responsible for what happens.

5 minutes later I get a call from him. We ugh, we have an appointment to go look at some trucks today at 3:00 pm. (I knew he would understand! Threatening bodily harm will do that for you every time...hehehe)

We go to just *LOOK* and I had gotten some prices that were really great so I wanted to wait before we did anything. UM....yeah, did I say wait. Because before I knew it, we had found "THE ONE" and were wheeling and dealing, and signing here before I knew it.

Then this guy named Cliff (not his real name) was handing me the keys and saying CONGRATULATIONS!!!

What a minute, okay hold the phone. What the HELL just happened. We just bought a new F**KING truck! (Please note said truck is really pretty, and precisely what I wanted)
But wow the commitment, the payments, the insurance.... OH MY GOD THE INSURANCE!

Me and Ryan both wake up regretting what we had done last night. I seriously felt so guilty like I cheated on Ryan with a one night stand.... (of course that wouldn't happen but that's the regret I felt for splurging and buying such a wonderous, pretty truck)

We were quickly scrambling to figure out a way to undo what had been done.....but basically we are screwed! We are stuck with said pretty truck for a long long long long long long long long long long long.... really long time!

As you can imagine, I'm sitting here at work calling insurance companies to get quotes so we are all covered. These were my thoughts on this procedure (pre phone calls) Insurance shopping: sounds like fun, I like shopping, who doesn't like shopping! If anyone can shop it's ME! Piece of cake, I can have this done today I bet, then things will be Great! (yeah, I always think in run on sentences)

My thought about Insurance shopping post phone calls: Screw insurance, all I need is a gun! This would solve so many things in one stop!
First off, they ask so many questions, which my answer every time was "I don't know" or "I'm not sure" or even "What does that mean?" They should just tell you from the beginning. "Insurance shopping? If you are a beginner, just forget it! There is however, a nice pawn shop down the road with a few pistols for sale!"
Expensive now has a new meaning, and it's all because of one night without caution! Maybe I'll have caution tattooed somewhere on my body to remind me....NEVER AGAIN!

It is now 12:30 and I swear I have called every insurance company in town for a stinking auto quote. Ugh, I think I need a beer. Is it bad to crave a beer when it's only noon?

I would like to pretend that for just a day, insurance was an inexpensive thing everyone could afford. Why oh why do we do this to ourselves? I feel like beating my head off the wall!

Back to the drawing board I go....

I will leave you with one question.... well two actually!
Who do you have insurance with?
How is your insurance company?

No comments: