Tuesday, July 7, 2009

When it rains, it pours.... and hails.

Yesterday afternoon around 4:22 the skies started to get dark and cloudy.
In the distance you heard the occasional rumble.


Then on my drive home from work the radio said "Severe Thunderstorm warning, winds of 40 mph, hail the size of quarters. This is a dangerous storm, if you are outside please seek shelter and stay away from the windows."


I love the rain, I love thunderstorms. It's so violent and beautiful at the same time.


As I'm driving home the rain begins, it's just a sprinkle at first.
Then it begins to really pour you know the pour where you have your windshield wipers on high and you still have to squint and tilt your head to the side and turn the radio down, just so you can see the road? Yeah it was like that.


When I got home, it let up for a minute.
I took that time to jump out of my truck un-tie the dog and run for the porch.

Side Note: MY FAVORITE SMELL IN THE WORLD IS THE SMELL BEFORE AND AFTER IT RAINS. AHH IT'S SO GOOD.


This was a pretty intense storm and loud. Very loud. I should know because I was watching the entire thing. Sitting and watching storms is very calming, it's also a good time to eat ice cream, or drink wine.

I couldn't believe the amount of rain we got in such a short time.


I had standing water in my back yard, it was pouring off my roof. The drive way was already full of puddles.


For a storm fanatic like myself this old gal was awesome.

When lightening would hit it would light up the whole sky, this would be followed by a loud crack or a drawn out rumble. Don't believe me?
Watch for yourself.


The loud static noise? That is the rain pouring down on my house.
The building you can see is my chicken house. Luckily all the chickens were inside where they were all safe and sound, and dry.

Finally the clouds broke and the sun peeked through before setting.
Is there really a better way to conclude a Monday night?

No comments: