Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Beans and Cornbread

So as I promised here is the wonderfully easy recipe of Beans and Cornbread from the wonderful website The Pioneer Woman. Go check it out, you'll never be the same!
I was surprised how easy it was to make this, and Ryan seemed to like it. I mean he at it all, cause Beans aren't really my thing due to my picky taste bud syndrome!

*disclaimer, I used my own corn bread recipe, cause I have a really good one that my neighbor gave me when I was in 4-H and I got a purple ribbon on it! So my recipe has been tried and tested and it's awesome!* Now back to the scheduled programming.

The much anticipated recipe.

Beans and Cornbread

Bean Ingredients:

4 cups Dried Pinto Beans
1 pkg Thick Sliced Bacon
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. pepper

P.W. Cornbread Ingredients:

1 cup Yellow Corn Meal
1/2 cup Flour
1 tsp. salt
1 cup Buttermilk
1/2 cup Milk
1 egg
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons Shortening


Beans:
Rinse beans in cold water with a strainer, be sure to pick out any foreign materials. Throw beans in a pot and cover with water by 2-3 inches. Slice your bacon into 1 inch pieces and add to the pot. Bring to a boil & then cover and reduce heat to a simmer for about 2 hours.
Season with salt and pepper. Make sure to taste this concoction and add seasoning as you please or don't please.

P.W. Cornbread:
In a bowl add:
Cornmeal, Flour and Salt. Stir together.
Next combine & add:
Buttermilk, egg and baking powder & soda. Stir together until frothy and add to the flour bowl.
Then melt the 1/4 cup of shortening in a microwave save dish & add to bowl, stirring constantly until combined.

Cover your pan with the 2 tablespoons of shortening and bake at 450 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

There you have it folks, a fast and easy way to satisfy any Men folk, or people who just like Beans and Cornbread in general.

Tonight I will try a different spin on a Roast, I'll report how it goes.

Thank you and goodnight.

No comments: