Monday, May 11, 2009

Weekend Recap: Survival 101?

My weekend was full and very busy.
Friday was the only down time I had.
Saturday I was at a track meet in Great Falls, running the high jump with a friend. After a few mistakes we ran the high jump like pros!
After the meet, I went home with the intentions of going to bed early (I had to be at the bus to leave for Bozeman by 5:15 AM)
And my plans went right down the toilet, we stayed up and dyed and cut hair. I never went to bed on Saturday because I knew I wouldn't wake up.

(To keep this from being too long I'm going to do this in 2 parts.)
PART 1.
Sunday, the big day. The day the senior class was scheduled to go White Water Rafting.
I got my stuff together, threw on some clothes and headed down to the school. When I got on the bus I realized I didn't match at all, I was wearing pink sweats, teal shorts and a navy blue sweatshirt. This is what happens when you get dressed in the dark.

I mumbled a couple hello's to the senior class and immediately claimed my seat, stretched out and fell asleep. I didn't wake up until we reached Helena, and I only woke up them because they promised me McDonald's breakfast (McDonald's breakfast is on of my many guilty pleasures)

I vaguely remember one of the boys trying to get a conversation started with me but after he realized I'm sleep deprived and it was like talking to a brick wall he left me alone and drifted back to sleep.

I woke up again when we were somewhere in the mountains and the windy road threw me off my seat. I sat up, rubbed my eyes and asked "where are we?"
I was told "Somewhere past Bozeman."
Seniors always have the best answers!

About an hour later we reached our destination.
We were at Geyser White Water Rafting
Our Mission for the day (right after I went to the bathroom) was to tackle the Gallatin River, known for it's dangerous rapid "Mile" stretch or for others who aren't so extreme this is where the movie "A River Runs Through It" was filmed, yes I stood where Brad Pitt stood, I touched water Brad Pitt touched, I.... well you get the idea. Me and Brad are practically like Besties now.

Before we left the bus our instructor told us the plan and where to get all our gear. So we filed off the bus, I relieved my bladder, and got my gear.
I was handed some rubber booties, a wet suit, and a velcro jacket thingy.
We were told the water would be cold so wear a fleece or long underwear under the wet suit.

The girls were all getting dressed, and laughing about how funny they felt. I laughed to myself thinking ah to be young again and laugh about something silly like wet suits.
I began with the wet suit, but I had a problem. The wet suit was tight, like really really tight and my sweats were bunched up around my butt giving me a wedgie from hell.... I thought "This is SO not going to work" It wouldn't even pull up over my butt and gathered sweats.
So I took my sweats off, ahh much better. I was currently wearing my bathing suit, shorts and a t-shirt under my wet suit. At the last minute I added my sweatshirt to this as well.
I still needed help getting the suit all the way up, so I asked for help and I realized senior girls are strong.
One of the girls grabbed my wet suit straps and pulled up. Pulling me off the ground and giving me a couple shakes this of course made my wet suit move up to the proper place. I felt kinda violated but at the same time found it hilarious.
Next come the booties, they are like really snug water shoes, very fashionable.
Then the water proof jacket (I loved this jacket once we hit the water)

I headed out of the dressing room and was immediately handed a life jacket and a helmet.
They told me to tighten the life jacket really tight "If you can't breathe, you can't drown"
"Okay, but don't you die any way's without air? Or have I been living a lie all along?"

Finally I was stuffed and strapped into all the proper gear, I couldn't move, I couldn't breathe, I was really uncomfortable. They told me that was perfect.

They loaded us all onto the bus to drive us to the loading spot.
While on the bus we were introduced to all our instructors in a very unconventional way.
Our instructor had me worried, they told us he was a nudist and would spend everyday naked if he could......
I'm sitting there thinking "Oh Lord WHAT have I gotten myself into?"

Coming up PART 2.

1 comment:

Emalee said...

you've should have taken picture because i want to see you in a wet suit... i mean i have it pictured in my head you in this skin tight thing with bulges from your cloths ha ha ha the pictur in my head is very funny, but i would prefure to see the real deal. and a nudist maybe you two can date teenie ha ha jk jk