Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Well, I did it. I let them out.

Let the chicken celebration begin.
That's right, I let the chickens out this morning, they ran out the door like they were captives.
I did feel bad keeping them locked in the coop but, it has been cold. Really cold and really windy. If they didn't freeze then they would have blown away. So by keeping them locked up it was really in their best interests.

Did you know when a chicken gets cold it will not go back inside under the heat lamp it will stay outside in one spot until it freezes to death.
So to discourage this behavior I just locked them up.
Also I had a bad dream that Ryan's dog killed another one.
So basically I fear for my chicken's lives all the time. I'm afraid this fear has also contributed to the poor dears being locked up longer.

Today however that all changed. It was nice this morning, the sun was shinning the wind was fairly calm.
I feel refreshed, like I've turned over a new leaf. I feel like I've let my chickens leave the nest.

Well until it gets cold again that is.

No comments: